New research shows over 2 in 5 Brits now care more about their local community
- 43 percent agree that they’ve been going out of their way to make their community safer (for example by ensuring people are not exposed to coronavirus).
- 39 percent say that they’re now more invested in protecting their local community from environmental issues.
- Over half (54 percent) say they want to help their local community to be more sustainable (for example reduce pollution, reduce plastic waste).
- 47 percent agree that lockdown has increased awareness of vulnerabilities within their communities.
- The ‘friendliest’ region is Wales – with over 50 percent of consumers saying that they’ve ‘gone out of their way to help neighbours and get to know them better’, followed by Greater London with 45 percent. The top city for this is Liverpool (48 percent).
- The Welsh have also embraced community spirit the most and now care more about their local community (44 percent), followed by Greater London (43 percent). Southampton secured the highest city score for this – 50 percent.
- Shopping locally during the pandemic featured highly for consumers in Northern Ireland (60 percent) and Scotland (57 percent) – interestingly, both of these cities came top for supporting independent businesses during the pandemic also (57 and 55 percent respectively). Cities seeing the shop local more trend the most were Edinburgh (63 percent) and Plymouth (61 percent).
- The city most supportive of independent businesses during the pandemic was Plymouth – with 62 percent of respondents supporting them more. At the other end of the scale, just 38 percent of consumers in Brighton have been supporting these businesses more.
- Brits in the South East regions say that they’ve been going out of their way to make their community safer (e.g. by ensuring people are not exposed to coronavirus) the most – 46.38 percent, closely followed by those living in the East Midlands (46.21 percent).
- 60 percent of Brits intend to keep shopping locally.
- 58 percent of Brits plan to keep supporting independent businesses in future.
“It’s really encouraging to see an increased sense of community spirit and a nod towards more environmentally friendly behaviour. In many places not knowing who your neighbours are, let alone their names or shopping habits is the norm, but it appears that lockdown has changed more than we think. It has presented Brits with an opportunity to really consider how they want to live and work and support others, whilst heightening awareness of the impact of quieter roads and improved air quality. Making it easier for communities to engage in more sustainable activities is essential – especially whilst they’re more open to it. We’ve seen a three-fold increase in usage of our 24/7 outdoor parcel lockers during lockdown – with the contact free feature being a large attractor.” With locker delivery, a courier can drop 50+ parcels in one stop, versus 50 stops criss-crossing residential streets to make home deliveries too. This results in vans spending less time on roads and two-thirds less in CO2 emissions used compared to home deliveries, as well as reducing congestion and improving air quality in cities. Tavaria concluded: “Online shopping is increasing in popularity, but so too are returns. Consumers need to be aware of the impact of their online shopping habits and the effect it has on the environment. Parcel lockers can have a significant impact on carbon emissions and are ideal for savvy online shoppers looking for a sustainable and convenient delivery option when buying online.”
Support for Ukraine - Vital Supplies Delivered by InPost Trucks
At InPost we stand in solidarity with Ukraine. Using our logistics facilities and a large transport fleet, our Polish team are helping to deliver vital supplies collected from across Poland.
March 6th 2022
InPost Group and Vinted launch European Ecommerce Delivery Partnership
• The agreement gives second-hand fashion site Vinted access to 35,000 delivery points across eight markets • In the UK, Vinted sellers will have access to InPost’s network of over 3,000 locker units across the country
February 17th 2022